Carpal Tunnel Hand Surgery
Carpal tunnel syndrome is an uncomfortable and debilitating condition that causes pain, tingling, or weakness, mainly in the hand, fingers and forearm. These symptoms are caused by compression of the median nerve, which runs from the forearm and into the hand via a small passageway (the carpal tunnel). What causes compression of the median nerve is unclear in many cases, although factors that are known to increase the risk of carpal tunnel syndrome include:
- A family history of carpal tunnel syndrome;
- Being female – women aged 40-60 have the highest risk;
- Pregnancy (symptoms usually subside after delivery);
- Certain health conditions, including diabetes, hypothyroidism, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and multiple sclerosis;
- Wrist injuries;
- Occupations that involve strenuous, repetitive work with the hands, or the regular use of vibrating power tools.
If left untreated, the problems caused by carpal tunnel syndrome will likely worsen and may even become irreversible if long-term damage is done to the median nerve. Therefore if you think you have carpal tunnel syndrome, it is important to seek treatment as soon as possible.
A number of treatment options are available for carpal tunnel syndrome, and not everyone needs surgery. Self-help (including rest and cold compress), medication, and wrist splints (wearing carpal tunnel splints at night helps to keep the wrist in a neutral position, thereby relieving pressure on the median nerve) may be useful in milder cases. However if surgery is necessary, we are expert plastic surgeon, and is highly experienced at surgically correcting carpal tunnel syndrome. Carpal Tunnel Treatment involves releasing the carpal ligament in order to relieve pressure on the median nerve. As with all our procedures, you will be ensured the highest level of personal care and professionalism, to help you achieve the best result possible.