KYBELLA is deoxycholic acid and is the only FDA approved prescription medication used in adults to improve the appearance of moderate to severe fat below the chin or ‘double chin’. It is also known as submental fat or fat below the chin. It is used to improve the profile .
How Does it Work?
The area to be treated is numbed with a topical or injectable anesthetic, followed by skin markings. The skin is then cleansed and the medication is injected into the fat with several tiny injections. You should expect a small amount of discomfort, and may experience some stinging/burning sensation immediately following the injections.
There will be a gradual reduction of fat, and the results will take time to see. The submental fullness should decrease in size, improving the appearance of the neck and your profile. Best candidates for KYBELLA® have mild to moderate submental fullness, along with good skin tone.. There may be a small improvement/retraction of loose skin. Most patients will receive 2-4 treatments spaced at least one month apart. Subsequent treatments typically result in less pain and swelling. Once the aesthetic goal is achieved, re-treatment with KYBELLA® is not expected. Typically, the treatment area will continue to age with time, yet will not age quicker because of the injections.
What Will Not Improve
• Significant loose skin and jowls
• Fat on sides of neck
• Sub-platysmal fat (which is located under the platysmal muscles)
• Fat along the border of the jawline
• Platysmal bands (neck bands)
• Pre-existing anatomy from the muscle, cartilage, and/or glands
• Pre-existing asymmetry of the neckline
What to Expect Following Injections
• You will have mid discomfort, stinging/burning or tenderness for a few days following the treatment
• Swelling and mild redness will increase for the first 1-2 days. It will then gradually subside over the next 1-2 weeks. Swelling can be dependent on the size of the treatment area.
• Mild bruising, if present, will resolve over the next week
• Itching or warmth at the injection site may be present
• Numbness is often present, and may take a month to completely resolve
• Area of firmness, (fibrosis or induration), is expected around the treatment area
What Should Improve
• Submental fullness (fat below the chin)
• Mild skin laxity/looseness
• Overall improvement of facial profile of the neck/jawline